I wanted to post a quick update on here as to why videos slowed. Currently, I’ve got a billion things on my plate, not least of which is our photography jobs, lol — and this is crazy season. As well, I am a writer and I have NANOWRIMO (National Novel Writing Month) coming up. That said, once December hits, we will have a huge amount of free time to start churning out videos that we can then publish at a much faster rate. So expect a lot from us this winter. We cannot wait to share what we’ve been working on!
I’m currently hard at working designing some upcoming inserts. Currently my plans include inserts for:
- Energy Empire
- Century: Golem Edition
- Lorenzo il Magnifico
Do you have games you’d like me to design an insert for? Let me know in the comments.
I’m also planning some reviews in the coming weeks:
- Okey Dokey
- Vinhos Deluxe
- Campy Creatures
Are there any games you’d like me to review? Let me know!
I’m also planning on making some how to videos on building inserts, tips and such, as well as videos that will help new gamers get into the hobby. If either of these interest you or you have additional ideas, let me know.
I’ve uploaded the first build video to my youtube channel. I hope you enjoy it. I’ve included a bunch of photos of the design below. Feel free to use these to create your own insert for personal use. If you make this insert, please tag me on Instagram so I can see all your hard work! And let me know if you’ve come up with ways to fix my mistakes. Enjoy!
We’ve been getting lots of emails and messaging from fans of our Instagram page as well as family and friends, wanting to know what our YouTube channel will be all about and when it will launch. February it seems was an insane deadline when I had no idea what I was doing or what I really wanted. And like the writer I am, many drafts later, I finally have a plan.
So here’s the official announcement.
Along with reviews – the focus of the Bock’s Games brand will be … drumroll … making! You heard that right. As an aspiring maker and maker-enthusiast I’ve fallen in love recently with some amazing channels out there and have decided to set my sights on bringing this same enjoyment to the board game community. So what does that all mean? What sort of “maker things” will the channel have?
YouTube Channel Overview!
- INSERT BUILDS! I’ll be designing and building custom inserts for my favorite board games. Likely, I will design these in sketch up and then put together a video crafting these inserts set to wonderful royalty-free music. My main source of inspiration in the look and feel would be Laura Kampf (and if you haven’t seen her stuff, go check it out). I’ll also be including how-to sections showing where I get my ideas and how I prototype them. I’ll be doing some extra special touches to these inserts as well to make them more than just a foam core shell. And at the beginning – the plans will be free on this website, though I’m sure that Patreon will get involved at some point.
- CUSTOM GAME PIECES! I’ll be designing and building custom game pieces for different games. Wood tokens. Dice trays. List goes on. I want these to be relatively easy for anyone to make or do on their own at home. My goal is not to offer these for sale, but to make it be something that an enthusiast with a little time and patience can make without breaking their budget.
- REVIEWS! Yep. I’ll still have these but they will be very short (less than 5 min when possible). These will be proper REVIEWS, not overviews. I won’t be going over the rules much because there are many excellent sites that offer this already. I want people to get a feel for the game and I’m not pulling punches. The first half of these videos will be me setting up the game, close ups of the parts, etc.
- COLLABORATIONS! I want to do these so bad and we already have one planned with A VINTAGE VANITY.
- AND MORE! Yes. More. I’ll be doing tips. Explaining game types. Showing where to get supplies. Possibly some painting tips as well. Everything I can offer to help gamers out and I’ll be taking your feedback on a regular basis.
When will this all start?
Well. See. I don’t know. I’m hoping within the next two weeks. My big goal right now is to have SOMETHING up on the site before GenCon. That’d be my big plan. It might not be super exciting, but it’ll be an excellent place holder for things to come! As of right now — Instagram reviews are on hold while I focus on getting this thing up and running and once it is, the reviews will start being on there with notes on Instagram to go watch them! I’ll be posting a TON from GenCon50, so stay tuned!
Thanks again for your support and if you have any ideas, don’t hesitate to message me or leave a comment below!
David here. I thought it might be nice to add some consistency to the posts that we make throughout our platforms — specifically Instagram and YouTube.
For the time being I will be using the following schedule.
Sunday: YouTube Episode (Coming Soon)
Monday: Instagram Review
Tuesday: Game Night Bag
Wednesday: Instagram Review
And now we need your help. We’d love some ideas for Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Perhaps we should do a top 4 games of a certain category? Maybe make a short video on gaming tips on Instagram. Perhaps these will be reserved for other videos within our upcoming youtube channel. We’d love your ideas. I recently made a post on Instagram about this so be sure to leave us a comment and let us know!
We’re almost there. Only 14 followers as of this post to reaching 1000 on instagram. That completely blows my mind. When we hit that number, I’ll be setting up a giveaway for Gamelyn Games, TINY EPIC WESTERN (special thanks to them for providing the copy).
And of course, I felt the need to comment on my youtube channel which has been very slow going. While working on this board game review thing, I’ve also been writing a novel (specifically YA Fantasy). For more info on this you can check out www.davidbockwrites.com and follow me on twitter at davidbockwrites if you have any interest. That said, I am currently revising my book. and all the while I’ve been trying to decide what I wanted to do as far as style for this youtube series. And, I’ve finally made a decision. I want this channel to feel a bit Vlogbrothers / Tested / Shut Up Sit Down. My reviews are going to be short, less than 10 minutes and at least in the beginning, I’m not going to spend much time going over the rules as there are many excellent channels that do this. My goal is to create a short video that gives you a basic idea of gameplay and then my thoughts. I may also do videos on organizing games, making things for your games, small painting tips etc.
Timeline. Right. Well, I hope to have the youtube channel started by the end of June. That’s my current goal and hopefully, I can do better than that.
Thanks for the support!
A lot happened in February.
- We gained almost 300 new followers (and as of today we now have 600). Yay!
And as a side note — once we get to 1000 followers on Instagram we’re going to do a GIVEAWAY! The people at Gamelyn Games have been kind enough to provide a copy of Tiny Epic Western Deluxe. Tell your friends!
- We started our BGG Guild, #2830. https://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/2830
- We’ve slowly continued gaining followers on Twitter and Facebook (links above).
So how about our YouTube Channel?
Wow. So many things to talk about here. To be honest, in the past month Cathy and I have completely immersed ourselves in gaming, playing at least 3 – 5 different board games each week as we search for which games we want to review and discuss on my show. We’ve also been discussing our target audience. Who do we want to reach? As well, we’ve been discussing the content of the show and how I’ll approach reviewing games. Lots of ideas here and most of them lean towards a casual approach that focuses more on what makes a game fun, and less on explaining the rules. Because we’ve made some changes to how we plan on doing things we’ve pushed things back to a mid to late March launch to focus on making the best show possible. You can help by joining our guild on BGG and joining in on the conversations – suggesting games, ideas and answering questions. We absolutely LOVE feedback, so please join us!
What about the Podcast?
Phew. Podcast. So this week we’re going to begin doing trial runs. Fake podcasts for ourselves only so to speak to see what we think and if we feel we have something new to offer. Our main focus would be on Kickstarter (by me) as well as News (by Cat) and then a little segment on what we recently played at our board game nights (we go to separate ones so this can make for interesting content).
And, as always:
If you have questions, want to submit a game for review or just want to send us a fan letter, go on over to the contact page for more info.
Thank you so much for your time. I look forward to hearing from you.
– David (and Cathy).